Change in category when adult child marries

Question: My father sponsored me while he was a green card holder. Later he acquired citizenship. I was unmarried when my father first filed for me as an adult, unmarried son. I got married three months before my father got citizenship. Our status changed after he got his citizenship and we were called for interview. My brother being unmarried was given the visa, whereas I was refused on the grounds that father acquired citizenship after I got married. Kindly help me.

Answer: I don’t believe that the petition should have been denied. Please check your records. I would also recommend calling the CIS to confirm. The officer should have notified you that your category changed to F3 – married son of a US citizen. Since this category takes longer than F2B (adult unmarried son of a green card holder), you are probably still in queue.


This entry was posted in Family Based, Green Card. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed. Please contact us