Who is an Affidavit of Support required for?

Question: I am sponsoring my mother for a green card. I have been a citizen for the past 10 years. I had filed for my sister’s green card eight years ago. At that time, I only had to fill out one form. Now I heard that when I file the petition to sponsor my mother I also needed to fill an Affidavit of Support and to submit all my tax returns and financial documents. I went to the CIS website. There are two Affidavits of Support. Which one do I fill out? Also, why do I need to fill this out?

Answer: Yes. Any petition filed for an immediate family member requires an Affidavit of Support. If you file a petition for your parents, your spouse, your children or your siblings, you will be required to submit an Affidavit of Support with the petition. Also, in cases where a U.S.-based company is sponsoring an employee, and if the employee is related to one of the owners of the company, the sponsor will need to file an Affidavit of Support. The only time you do not need to fill this form is when a battered spouse or child files a petition for a green card or when a widow/widower of a U.S. citizen or a green card holder files a petition for a green card.


This entry was posted in Affidavit Of Support, Family Based, Green Card. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed. Please contact us